Testosterone is an anabolic steroid hormone which is the principal male sex hormone. It plays a vital role in the development and wellbeing of male reproductive tissues.
Testosterone is widely known as the main factor to increased muscle and bone mass in the body, as testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in the human body. Even a slight increase in testosterone levels can reap many benefits to our body.
Among the positive benefits of increased testosterone levels in our body are;
- Increase in muscle and bone mass
- Increase in muscle strength and size
- Prevention of osteoporosis
- Decrease in body fat
- Decrease in bad cholesterol
- Increased sex drive and libido.
Here are a few ways to boost your testosterone levels, the natural way.
- Perform tough exercises. the bulk of your workout should involve “compound” weight-lifting exercises that train several large muscle groups, and not just one or two smaller muscles in order to beef up testosterone levels in your body. Exercises such as dead lifts, squats, lunges and dips that stress up your muscles will force your body to produce more testosterone.
- Reduce estrogen levels. Testosterone levels in your body will greatly increase when estrogen (the main female hormone) levels are reduced. Consume more cruciferous greens such as broccoli, radish and cabbage to lower estrogen levels in your body. Also, avoid consuming too much soy protein as it has been known to promote production of estrogen in the body.
- Drive home sober. Avoid binge drinking to maintain or increase testosterone levels in your body – cut yourself off after the third glass. Binge drinking kills your testosterone levels due to the alcohol present in your blood. Alcohol affects the endocrine system by signalling your body to stop producing testosterone.
- Get adequate sleep. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep at night! Screwing up your Circadian Rhythm will greatly affect your body in producing testosterone. Testosterone levels in your body are higher in the morning after a good night’s sleep. So stop staying up late and go to bed!
- Eat more nuts. Foods like nuts are rich in monounsaturated fats – an Essential Fatty Acid (EFA). Research has shown that EFA found in foods such as nuts, canola oil, olive oil and peanut butter boosts testosterone levels in the body. Men who ate diets rich in monounsaturated fat – the one present in peanuts had high testosterone levels.
- Work Hard, Rest Harder. At the gym, push yourself 110% harder. When you push yourself to the limits while working out at the gym, true gains in muscle and testosterone levels will follow suit! However, bear in mind to not overtrain your body. I you don’t allow your body to recuperate adequately between training sessions, testosterone levels in your body may plummet as much as 40% lower. Never stress the same muscles with weight-lifting movements two days in a row, and again – get adequate sleep!
- Last but not least, have more sex! When simply having an erection causes your circulating testosterone to rise significantly, engaging in intercourse will definitely further increase testosterone levels in your body. Sexual stimulation causes the body to release endorphins (the “feel-good” hormone), and this in turn will raise testosterone levels, naturally.
These 7 steps will provide that natural boost in testosterone that will leave you feeling more healthy, vibrant, sexual, and attractive. Try them now!