If you’re really serious into getting bigger and gaining muscle and strength, chances are that you may need to spend a fee on supplements to compliment your workout and helping you achieve desired results. You will resort to spending hundreds of your greens on various types of shakes, powders, pills and power bars. But do you really need them?
Here are the only 4 supplements which you only REALLY need for your training, and why; 1. Multivitamins. Multivitamins are preparations intended to supplement the human diet with various vitamins, minerals and other nutritional elements in one dosage. They provide the body and mind with an all-round nutritional support, and is suitable to be taken everyday. Benefits of multivitamins include:
- Promotes better sleep – Zinc helps promote restful sleep.
- Fortified immune system – Vitamin C strengthens the immune system, thus preventing illnesses.
- Quicker recovery – Calcium and Iron accelerates the recovery process from strength training.
- Metabolism of energy – Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) plays an integral role in energy, fat, carbohydrates and protein metabolism.
However, please be advised to take multivitamins in moderation, or up to an optimum level. High doses of multivitamins will cause complications to the body. 2. Fish oil. Fish oil is obtained from the tissues of oily fish. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) that has a lot of benefits towards your body. Benefits of Omega-3 consumption include:
- Eases Depression – Omega-3 allows serotonin (an antidepressant chemical/a feel good hormone produced by the body) to be more easily transported between cells, thus lowering the occurrences of depression.
- Lowers Cholesterol – Omega-3 fatty acids have been clinically proven to help lower harmful cholesterol levels in the body, thus preventing heart diseases and cancer.
- Reduces Inflammation in Body – As fish oil helps reduce inflammation in the body, one can expect lesser occurrences of acne, lupus, tendinitis, etc..
- Promotes Weight Loss – Fish oil promotes fat burning, better than diet and exercise alone. Fish oil promotes metabolism of fat cells, thus reducing overall accumulation of fat in the body.
- Reduces Weight Training Soreness – Due to its ability to reduce inflammation, fish oil has been proven to also dramatically reduce soreness from strength training, allowing a more enjoyable exercise, with shorter recovery periods.
- Increases Testosterone Levels.
It is recommended that you take 1 tsp. of fish oil a day. 3. Whey. Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins, a by-product of cheese production. Whey is a very common supplement taken by bodybuilders to help them build muscle. It is:
- Easy – Most whey proteins are instant. Just mix it with milk or water in a shaker, and drink. Perfect on-the-go power drink!
- Effective – 1 scoop of whey contains about 25g of protein. You only need 1-2 scoops of whey a day to help you build that muscle you desire.
- Affordable – Whey is one of the cheapest proteins you can get! It costs approximately $75 (RM220) for a 10lbs. tub of whey that will last you for 4-5 months, if you take a scoop daily. Doesn’t get any cheaper than this.
4. Creatine. A nitrogenous organic acid that helps supply energy to all cells of the body, primarily muscle. Creatine effectively improves physiological response to resistance exercise and increasing maximum force production of muscles in the body. It promotes a better recovery between sets and workouts as well as increasing strength and performance. It is advised that you buy creatine in powder form, because liquid-based creatine is unstable after a long period of time. Still want to take more supplements? Feel free. They are, after all, supplements to supplement your training. The key is to train hard, eat right and have the positive attitude!