And so it was a muddy ending at the Nike We Run KL 10k Marathon last night. Due to some road blocks, they had to change the finish line a few days ago before the race kit collection – it was actually fine. The running and finisher tees are superb, just the runners were not! Also, I am seeing some rants on Facebook whereby they had to wait for more than 3 hours just to collect their baggage. Endure that with an hour or maybe more of running drenched in your own sweat.
Here are some observations that the organizers could get from so they can improve next year:
- It started with an online registration. When you expect 15,000 participants, then boost up your websites because it is expected to be congested.
- The discount coupon is only valid within 3 days of redemption during the race pack collection. Consider extending this because not everyone can go to Nike during the collection.
- Including college and university students are good, it promotes wellness at a young age. But when people have no training whatsoever, they start to faint at 7KM. That’s why they belong to another category. Putting them in a bulk in the Start line will make the roads very congested as you can actually see couples holding hands while walking.
- In fairness too my fellow Muslim runners, keeping the gun time swift at 5:30, not 5:40 will definitely mess up their prayer time.
- Race etiquette. This was imprinted on the race manual but I never heard of the DJs saying this. Slow pace runners, wait, walkers, should stay at the left. Some runners would just run wherever they wanted to and just stop. This is a serious risk because runners can just collide to each other. I was even shouting, ‘passing through’ and ‘to your right’, but it seems that they do not have any clue what I was pertaining to >.<.
- Putting cardboards on a muddy field. Paper loves water right? Ending, making your shoes muddier.
- Wider lanes. I could not believe I was jogging along Sheraton Hotel because there were just two lanes for the running event. It was a loooong bottleneck. And again, another opportunity for the sweet couples to HHWW (holding hands while walking) *facepalm*.
- Medics and Nurses must have their radios. I saw a young college female student who passed out and waited for some concerned runner to pass the information to the next medic group to attend to her. Poor her.
- Finisher tee collection. Another capacity management failure here. You have the records of participants and their respective sizes. So why did you have to choose to decide to make the queue for Small and Medium sizes even with 2XXL and XL?
- The baggage. Good thing I ran light. I shall not make any comment because I didn’t have to wait for more than 3 hours to collect mine.
- The bus service and traffic situati0ns. Hello, we are in KL and it was a Saturday night. Expect that the traffic conditions will be so bad. Interject the fact that the ambulances were parked near the field and the buses couldn’t pass through. They had to reroute to bring us to KLCC. People who decided to walk from the finish line to Masjid Jamek/Wangsa Maju LRT stations must have arrived sooner than those who took the bus service.
So much rant here. Anyway, even the organizers say it was 10k, but due to swerving among the slow runners, my GPS say that I ran 13 KM at a whopping 4’44” pace.
What!?!?! If this is correct, then, I must say that *inerts grammar correction here*:
Nevertheless, it was a good run, for me. I am hoping for a healthier run on the next few events.
And here is my result:
[blockquote align=”left” cite=”Nike Running Malaysia” citeLink=”https://www.facebook.com/NikeRunningMY/app_278173448954767″%5DTHE OFFICIAL TOP 3 RANKING ARE BASED ON GUN TIME FOR ALL CATEGORIES AS PER THE RULES AND REGULATIONS. THE REST OF THE RANKINGS ARE BASED ON NETT TIME. NO RACE TIMING WILL BE CAPTURED IF YOU DID NOT WEAR YOUR TIMING D-TAG ON YOUR SHOE DURING THE RACE. FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON RESULTS, PLEASE EMAIL TO RESULTS@WERUNKL10K.COM
GUN TIME – IS THE RACE TIME FROM THE OFFICIAL START TIME OF THE RACE UNTIL THE RUNNER CROSSES THE FINISH LINE.
NETT TIME – IS THE RACE TIME FROM THE TIME THE RUNNER CROSSES THE START LINE UNTIL THE FINISH LINE.[/blockquote]